GEICO, short for Government Employees Insurance Company, started as an insurance carrier targeted at military members and US government employees. With headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD, the company now serves the general population and is one of the top auto insurance companies. It also offers property coverage and various insurance policies for identity theft, life insurance and overseas protections, among others. GEICO auto insurances cover a six-month period and renew automatically. Customers who want to cancel their policies should call a toll-free number, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
• Make sure you have an alternative plan in place before you cancel GEICO. If this is another insurance carrier means make sure there will not be any coverage lapse between the policies.
• Your insurance papers come together, including your GEICO policy number.
• Call 1-866-915-1172, the number of GEICO with which insurance policy cancellations are processed.
• Give the customer service representative the requested information, including your policy number and name, and possibly your date of birth and the last four digits of your social security number.
• Explain that you are canceling your policy and the name of an end date for your coverage. Ask the representative to verbally confirm the date of cancellation coverage. If you request a refund for any unused portion of the policy you are prepaid for, and confirm how you will receive this refund.
Tips & warnings
You can cancel your auto insurance policy midway through the coverage period – a policy is not a contract.
The customer service will probably try to continue to convince you. Listen to the deal and decide if it’s worth it, but don’t give in to busy tactics don’t cancel.
A car insurance expiration of even a day can send your higher rates and is illegal in most jurisdictions.